Monday, September 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Joey

My mom is an almost-70 year old Korean woman with an addiction to the Salvation Army (the "Army") and other thrift stores. She likes to buy used Crock Pots, dishes, swimsuits (she swims at the YMCA daily), clothes, furniture, trivets, linens, and baby clothes. She sent two daughters to private high school and college and now lives in a nice house in Brentwood, so clearly her frugality has paid off. Still, she buys all kinds of crap she doesn't need. This blog is meant to record her random-ass purchases.

Exhibit #1 is a recent purchase. In case you can't read the print, the mug says, "Happy 60th Birthday, Joey. With love from your whole family. Oct 2005." I asked my mom who Joey was, just to fuck with her. She  giggled. My husband said, "That sucks that Joey gave away this birthday mug from his family." I answered, "He probably gave the mug away because he DIED and they carted away all his possessions to the Army."

4 comments:

  1. I think Joey gave it away because a) he hates his family and b) it's an ugly mug. Okay, the truth is probably much sadder and I am a bad person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame Joey. The mug is kind if ugly. Makes me wonder why your mom...nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *heart* your mom. I would even have it engraved on a mug.

    ReplyDelete